Monday, May 18, 2015


05-01-15
Period 1


 A Day In Spring

            The air is swift and breathtaking. The aromas of the newly developed flowers fill the air. The sun´s heat gleams on my face. It's a new day, a day in the spring. As I strolled down my street, I noticed a quite distressed person.
 Not knowing who it was I proceeded with caution. To my surprise, it was my pal, Sydney. He was in quite of a predicament. He wonderd if to either walk the robust path towards the desert hills or to take a plug-in the pool. I helped him come to a conclusion. Since I am a big fan of swimming, we both decided to throw a pool party with all our other pals. He called them up and soon after they arrived.
 Teenagers like I, have a tendency to ignore the little things in life, like every detail and emotion we experience, but this day I did not. I remember the damp, moist grass huging against the skin of my feet. The frigid concrete which where the pool was laid out. The water was as warm as any other day, but was still refreshing to the touch. As we ran in, the water splashed and whirled furiously. Then everything came to a standstill. I noticed a very pungent smell, the smell of chlorine, in the water. Although it did not bother my sense of smell, it did affect my eyes when I retreated from underwater. We swam and laughed at all the little things we did.
 In a short amount of time, the sun was in the horizon. My pals and I decided to go on a journey towards a burger joint across a small desert. We all got out of the pool. At this moment the feeling of sundown struck us. We were all in fear of the desert, but we were safe in numbers... or so we thought.

 As we walked towards the small dirt hill which lead to the desert my breathing altered. My lungs contracted at a faster rate. I could feel my heart also, beat at more accelerated rate. I could feel my eyes widen. Every step I took I felt a plethora of adrenaline being released from my adrenal gland. Josh, a friend of mine, began to panic at the slightest noise. *THUMP* we all turned in horror. The desert was dark and alone now. It was only us and the Joshua trees. We spotted a disturbing shadow sweep in front of us. A cold chill ran through my spine. I could not move a muscle as if I were to be paralyzed. The hair on my arm began to rise. "Oh no, let's get out of here!" exclaimed Sydney. My legs began to move so as if they were out of control. I could not stop. With every step, I kicked the dirt behind me. Deep gasps of air began to fill the expanse. I ran until I no longer could, and so did my pals behind me. We never decided to go through the desert again. 

6 comments:

  1. Great essay, as I'm reading through your short story I can visualize everything you see, smell. and how you feel, which proves you chose great decisions in the words you used. Your writing rapidly caught my attention as I first began to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great essay, deep meaning in it. Great grammar and punctuation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great essay and great use of vocabulary but you should indent in every starting paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great essay great use of words and good choice of words

    ReplyDelete
  5. again, great essay. I could really feel what you were feeling. You described everything perfectly and the fact that you never revealed exactly what you saw in the desert provides the readers with an oinous, edge-of-your-seat feeling the whole way through. It was more like a poem, rather than an essay. Great eassy.

    ReplyDelete